Note: I’ve been meaning to write this entry for a while, but it was very difficult because it shows me poking at areas of my body that I’m painfully self-conscious about. Try to be nice in your comments if you have any. Also, many of the information here are generalizations about apple-shaped females, however, remember that everyone’s body is different and unique and wonderful!😉
If you are unfamiliar with the traditional classes of body type shapes, “apple” or “inverted triangle” is one of them. There are probably many more types out there now than just apple, pear, banana, and hourglass, but since I relate most to apple I will write what I learned about it.
Typical apple-shaped people tend to store fat in their mid-section and usually have long and thin legs and arms.
My apple-shaped body does tend to be chunkier in my tummy area, but I also don’t have very slender looking limbs. While thinner looking may be the better way to look, I like to optimistically think that having a chunky torso with matching chunky arms and legs makes me look more balanced😛
How do you know if you are an apple shape?
Look in the mirror and check out where most of your fat hangs out. If it’s by your tummy mostly versus your thighs and hips, you are probably an apple!
Not an accurate enough method for you? Divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement. If it is greater than 0.8, you are an apple!
Here are my Personal Perks of Being Apple Shaped:
- I’m pretty modest when it comes to my body because I’m pretty self-conscious, but if there is anything I should be thankful for, it is my voluptuous topside. That’s right, I went there.
- Fantastically shaped legs! While my own apple legs are not long and very thin like the typical apple shaped lady, I must admit that I do like the way my legs (or at least my thighs lol) look in skinny jeans, shorts, and skirts.
- This again is more specific to my very own body, but I love how I am thick and heavy my frame is. While it frustrates me when I feel overweight, it makes me feel very strong and built when I am on top of my exercise and muscle training routine.
Where there are ups, there are downs….
Personal Cons of being Apple Shaped
- Number one issue is health. This body type is associated with being higher risk for the major baddies of our generation’s health issues: heart disease, diabetes, and hyper tension (high blood pressure). It does not help if you are also genetically dispositioned for these diseases, like myself
- The epic battle that people have no matter what body type: difficulty trying to look lean and long. However, trying to make your torso less stumpy can be difficult since fat distributes preferentially near the heart and stomach area in apples.
- When losing weight, the last place I lose inches is at my waist, while the first place to gain inches when getting chubbier for the winter is my waist!
- Not going to lie, wish I had a more prominent hip and butt region. Oh hourglass girls, I vie for your shape!
My very own infographic to sum up what I said…
How to be a Happy Apple
- Cardio! I love my kickboxing. But I am also trying to get some extra walking, elliptical, and even jazz dance this term in my routine since kickboxing is high impact and not always available. 30 minutes of cardio a day will keep the doctor and excess fat from the upper side away!
- Core exercises. I hate them, I won’t lie. However, when I’m good about my core routine, I feel more toned, stronger, and surprisingly flexible.
- Know how to dress yourself. Top-half heavy? Here are some fast tips to make sure you are flattering your shape:
- Wear v-neck shirts, but AVOID very low cut shirts (less is more).
- Try avoiding stretchy/jersey tops and over-sized tops as they can be unflattering to your midsection. Instead try flowy tops and structured blouses that can complement apple broad shoulders.
- Go for stretchy, dark washed jeans so you get the stretch at the waist while avoiding a baggy fit at the rest of your legs!
- If you are feeling self-conscious about your shoulders or arms but like tank tops, try wearing thicker straps. It gives a more balanced illusion.
- Have apple shaped celebrity crushes! When you are down and out and wish your body was shaped differently, look to fabulous celeb crushes for exercise and healthy eating inspiration :D!
Here are two of my favorite classy celebrity apples: Catherine Zeta Jones & Kate Winslet.
Now go and embrace your inner goddess, no matter what shape you are🙂